T289R Member

Lockwiring spinners

Post by KevinW »

Quick question to those with 3 eared spinners and knock-on wheels:
Is first pic too tight
DSC_0165.JPG
or should it look like this.....
Neither are under tension between spinner and wheel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Re: Lockwiring spinners

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve always wired mine with visible slack so any movement can be eyeballed quickly. As you know the wire is not meant to hold the spinner tight, merely to indicate potential looseness.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I have always put a loop in the wire, (8mm bolt does nicely) as this will show tensioning of the wire.
In theory, splined hubs don’t need a wire, but I like having them!
4C75D46A-D2E3-43E9-8AB9-941D10B39D93.png
I hope the 2 pics above are on opposite sides of the car, Kev?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Nik - I have seen those loops, and often wondered what they were for.
- and yes indeed, opposite sides of the car (placed according to 'TightArse')
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have always had mine tight as per your first photo. As far as I know instructions for lock wiring nuts e.g. for the aero industry is they should be tight to ensure that the nut cannot move at all. No mention of any tell tale slackening loops.
The spinner should be tight enough to not move.
A per earlier postings ensure that the wheel is on the ground when you tighten the spinner to reduce the force going into the wheel bearings. Small hammer to tighten and big hammer to get them off. Helps not to over tighten which I am sure I used to do.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Nik, out of interest why do you say that splined hubs don’t need the lock wire? What is the theory?
Is there slack in rotational movement of a pin drive system that does not exist in the splines.
There have been rotational indicators on heavy goods vehicle wheel nuts for some years now so I could buy into the idea of your small loop to show that the spinner has started to move.
I just think that there is a big difference between the vibrations seen on a truck wheel and a lightweight car and practicalities would prevent the truck from having lock wired nuts.
Peter C
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

It has long been the case that Rudge Whitworth hubs are “self-tightening” due to the design of the tapers, hence you don’t see wires on 2-eared spinners. (Just found a great article here: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... -worth-hub)
I haven’t looked into why it is different for peg drive, just know “it is what it is”!
Truck wheels are a completely different issue, as there are no rotational forces on the individual studs, so comparing eggs & apples.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Nik, An interesting article on the principles of the self locking element.
Of course conventional wheel nuts (including the truck wheels) have a cone on each nut so yes it’s a different set up.
I note that the article mentions a moderate tap to tighten the spinner. How many of us hammer a little to heavily and wonder why the un doing becomes an issue.
Peter C
Last edited by peterc on Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Me for one....
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I admit I have now re done the lock wires to include the loop having needed to remove the wheels to check on the integrity of the rear bolts. e.g. Simon’s problem!
I have been thinking more deeply ( as I tend to do) about this subject and will probably revert to the solid design as and when they need to be cut off and replaced.
I haven’t managed to get them as tight as previously so now a check would be to needed to see if the wires are completely tight and starting to change the shape of the loop which isn’t a perfect circle to start with.
My argument is that the spinner is tightened to the desired tightness and that is where you want it to stay. With the inbuilt telltale the spinner will have already started to move by the time you notice the loop is reduced. I’m not sure I am comfortable with that.
There are of course arguments for both systems so I guess it’s what makes you feel happy and safe.
Peter C