Avon tyres

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
agnoraan

Avon tyres

Post by agnoraan »

What differences and advantages did you find from swapping ordinary road tyres for Avon CR6ZZ's? Are they really worth the expenditure for a road car??
Thanks
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Avon tyres

Post by peterc »

The problem here Nige is that most people including myself will be changing their tyres because of either lack of tread or probably that the rubber is long past its best due to age. Either way the old rubber would be pretty poor performer against anything new.
In my case whilst the old tyres looked perfectly good and only half worn they but were 15 years old!
One assumes that the rubber would have been less compliant and grippy than when they were newer.
Needless to say I was pretty impressed with the improvement with my new Avon’s.
It would need someone to analyse some alternative rubber. EG Galaxy R1’s. For example these are available in 255 x 60 x 15” or 275 x 60 x 15” with correct V speed rating unlike many others.
As I am making do with 245 x 60’s it would be interesting to know how the Galaxy’s perform.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

I have the Galaxy on but the project will be ready for testing only in a year, finger crossed :-)
Special customized BRA289
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Out of interest Migge is the raised white lettering only on one side. E.g could it be hidden on the inside?
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

White letter on the inside. 6.5 front 215/60/15, 9.5 rear 245/60/15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Another vote for Galaxy. I have the vulgar white lettering on the outside :).
Can't justify the extra £1000 for Avons on a car doing very low mileage, although the tread pattern does look better.
235s front and 255s rear on a 427 shaped body.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think the highlighted lettering looks OK on a 427 but out of place on a 289 even if it is an FIA.
I agree on the costs versus low mileage but at the end of the day four little patches of rubber keep you safe on the road. Ideally one would need a magazine to conduct back to back tests to evaluate the two.
Evo magazine does that once a year but of course its comparing modern low profile rubber on 18 or 19" rims not classic car sizes.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

I've heard good things about the Galaxy in the CRC. If you need white lettering buy stencils. I have tried them but without success. All tyre paint versions are not really sticky to the tyre. Picture of the period correct Good Year tyre.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Hi Peter, Yes a back-to-back test would be great.
Meantime, you will be hard pressed to find a bad Galaxy review anywhere on the interspleb, same as for Avons. Both V-rated, so more than adequate for our cars on the public highway I think. Most of the imported US tyres (Firestones, GoodYear etc) are sadly H-rated - I have seen plenty of high power V8 cars wearing them, but I don't think its advisable. Kevin
ALF
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by ALF »

Migge wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:45 pm I've heard good things about the Galaxy in the CRC. If you need white lettering buy stencils. I have tried them but without success. All tyre paint versions are not really sticky to the tyre. Picture of the period correct Good Year tyre.
This is still something for my todo list.
Please inform us if you had success with the stencils.
DANKE