Heat insulation

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Heat insulation

Post by peterc »

Whilst my engine is out I am going to replace the heat insulation on both foot boxes.
I currently have Ali covered glass cloth but despite the adhesive it’s fraying at the edges and looks crap.
Merlin Motorsport sell a product called Zircoflex which is meant to be good and can be cut to size. Also has an option of being self adhesive.
It comes in three grades but I would probably only use the basic as there is no sensitive electronics to protect.
With the proximity of the headers I think it would be preferable to the bolting on of an Ali sheet on spacers as it’s so thin.
Has anyone tried this product or has better ideas?
Peter C
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Heat insulation

Post by Dave Woodward »

Hi Peter,

I put some aluminium panels on the inside of the foot boxes for cosmetic and heat shielding purposes. I initially had spacers between the ali and the footbox so there was an air gap between the two. Having just taken the engine out I have now filled the gap with a silver coated bubble wrap type of material, glued in place to the back of the Ali panels, and panels put back. You can’t see the material, just the Ali sheet. Looks good and really does hold the heat out. You can see them in the image below.
CB017B25-1BB3-4F11-8A64-F8D8FEEFA488.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Having no bonnet also lets the heat out! :lol:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

One thing I've noticed is... The air intake on a Hawk is completely blocked by the radiator. (in my car). Thereby all the air going through is at 80C or above. An original 289 appears to have a gap over the radiator allowing an element of cooler air through. Maybe worth a try? Also good for carburation? Maybe bad for engine cooling... Who knows?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

When I built my car I fitted heat shields on the footboxes but still this didn't stop my feet from getting extremely hot even in cold weather. I finally traced it to the transmission tunnel which I hadn't sealed at the front when I fitted it and it was allowing hot air from the engine bay to enter under the carpet to my feet. A good dose of body putty in the gaps cured it and now there is no issue with hot totties.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

That’s a good one Clive. Had exactly the same issue and resolution. I remember being at LMC and leaving a bag of wine guns in the passenger footwell just by the front lip of the transmission tunnel. Needless to say, between the 289 and the French weather, we ended up with one single massive wine gum in the bag 😂
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Not sure why your panels are black Dave. Back attracts heat!
I have never had any gaps with the transmission tunnel. Suitably sealed with neoprene foam gasket.
I did have a gap over the rad initially but a suitable Ali deflector directed the air through the rad thus giving more cooling for the water.
I have not had any issues with heat in the foot wells with my current low tech Ali foil covered Fibreglass matting. It’s just the fraying at the edges which is rather poor.
I have just ordered the hi tech Ali sheet insulation so will see how it performs. I like the idea that it is so thin.
Peter C