Steering column lower support

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Steering column lower support

Post by simonjrwinter »

Finally starting a bit of work on the car.
The thing that’s been bugging me is the lower end of the steering column itself. Where it goes through the footwell the hole has been cut slightly too big and the lower part of the column was moving around. I know I could’ve fibreglassed it in, but I decided to go a different route, I first looked at an MGB lower column support, but there’s no room within the foot well to fit it either to the side or to the top of the footwell. I decided therefore to make up a plate to bolt on the outside of the footwell with suitable supports on the inside, of course, which would hold the bottom of the steering column. Steady, I managed to drill an angled hole through a piece of four mm aluminium and when it’s bolted finally in place it will hold the column steady. Can anybody see any issues with this before I go ahead and bolt it in place?
Simon
IMG_6696.jpeg
IMG_6690.jpeg
IMG_6688.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Steering column lower support

Post by peterc »

I see you have the newer recessed footwell.
I didn’t like the idea of the column tube being supported but just one thickness of fibreglass so on my older design ( without the recess) so I fibreglassed in an Ali collar which I would have thought would be just as good in your recess and possibly neater?
I think your idea is a bit OTT but heh it certainly won’t move.
Peter C