Schematic Wiring Diagram

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Schematic Wiring Diagram

Post by phlip99 »

I've finally managed to complete drawing up a schematic wiring diagram for my Hawk 289 (Rover engine).
I must emphasise that it relates to my car - and probably no one else's!!
However, it may help someone figure out where some particular wire goes if they have a problem or are just curious.
A few points to be aware of if you are studying the diagram.........

There are a couple of oddities in the wiring - e.g. doubled up cables from fuses 1, 2 & 8.
The only explanation I can think of for this is that they didn't have the correct spec. of cable to hand when putting the loom together so they just ran two smaller cables in parallel. No big deal really.
I wanted to avoid taking the loom apart so just left them in.
Also, the main power cable from the alternator enters the loom as red..... but emerges as BROWN!! I spent many hours trying to figure this one out as there are lots of fat brown cables coming out of the loom all over the place!!
Again, I left it as it was.
The build of my car started in 2001 and was IVA'd in 2011. As far as I know the wiring loom was supplied by or via Gerry.
There are a number of amendments to this "standard" loom. ......
The wiring for the heater, rear fog and reversing lights, side repeaters and immobiliser has been removed.
I have separate relays for main & dipped beams and for the wiper motor. I have installed a warning light for "fans on" and just one for the indicators rather than one each for left & right. I also have a switch for powering the fuel pump.
I installed an ammeter in place of the voltage meter and all the other instruments are electronic - which increases the wiring complexity somewhat compared with analogue gauges.

Think that's all - apologies for hand-drawn amateur nature of the diagram but I couldn't find any appropriate software - and probably would not want to spend the time learning how to use it anyway!
Any questions let me know.
I've posted the jpg on Wiki under "Reference Material - Electrics"
Cheers
Phil.

PS Forgot to mention, I'm using the original Rover P6 style headlamp dip/flash switch.
Last edited by phlip99 on Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesmacv8
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Schematic Wiring Diagram

Post by jamesmacv8 »

Very useful Phil - Thanks

James
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Schematic Wiring Diagram

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Phil - this is very useful. Maybe I can use this as the basis for a Ford one.

I love the hand-drawn nature of this image so much I might print it out and put it on the wall in the garage!

For anyone wanting to see it, here's a direct link: http://wiki.the289register.com/doku.php ... #electrics