Tremec T5

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Ferngar

Tremec T5

Post by Ferngar »

Hi all,
Has anybody retro fitted a Tremec gearbox (behind a Rover V8) in their Hawk 289, if so was it necessary to cut the crossmember behind the gearbox?
I have an LT77 box fitted at the moment and to fit an R380 it would require the crossmember to be cut which is something I do not want to do.
Hence the thoughts of a Tremec.
simonjrwinter

Re: Tremec T5

Post by simonjrwinter »

Following……
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I would be I interested in your thoughts why you are homing in on a Tremec. Is it different to a T5 because I thought Tremec bought the design of that and it was effectively the same box.
The amount of failures/problems with a T5 seem to be about the same as an LT77 according to the TVR forum. The LT 77 probably won’t like dumping the clutch for starting starts if you have 300+ BHP.
Peter C
Ferngar

Post by Ferngar »

Hi Peter
The header does state Tremec T5 and I believe it was a Borg Warner T5 before Tremec took over.
The beauty of a T5 is that as it is still manufactured, then spares (if needed) will be available for a few years yet.
The range of Tremec gearboxes are available from 300bhp and up, so more than enough for my needs.
I have driven another 289 with the T5 and the gearchange was superior to my LT77.
Roger.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

The T5 in my previous FIA (302 engine) was superb!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

I have an LT77 behind my Rover engine and I have to say it's the worst gearbox I've ever used... I Hate it... it's just so imprecise.
Probably as a result of the shortened remote... or at least that's a contributor.
Phil.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like a plan to cope with extra BHP.
Not sure the wife would appreciate me saying I now need a new gearbox after the large sum of cash going on the current engine rebuild.
Peter C
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

I've had my BRA for 28 years with a Rover / LT77 combo. I have had two LT77 boxes in that time. The first was changed out for the second because it started to pop out of third gear on overrun.
The second box was gone through by a gearbox guy before fitting. Both boxes have taken everything thrown at them from tuned engines, burnout abuse, trackdays you name it. The change is precise and almost rifle bolt in character. I think the LT77 is a great box, I have no complaints.
I recently built a Rover P6 race replica with a 4.6 and put an LT77 in that, the motor was producing 270bhp, the LT77 coped fine
If you have a box with a horrible shift then there is something wrong with it.
Ferngar

Post by Ferngar »

Thanks for all of the opinions but can anybody answer the original question?
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Sorry - we've gone off topic here!!
Apologies.

Cobraboy - I've sent you a pm so as not to divert this topic even further!!
Phil.