Project Sanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: Project Sanity

Post by agnoraan »

amulheirn wrote:
agnoraan wrote:I want to get the fibreglass work all finished on the bonnet first & I'll ask if it's ok to put photos and a write up of the various stages on here. Andy, I'm going to be taking a "splash" off the scoop on Owains car to fit on my Viper, so I'll have one if you're interested?
Nige
Thanks Nige - I might need some newbie instructions on what a splash is (presumably it doesn't involve a dog-eared copy of Razzle?) and what I need to do with it. Will try to give you a bell at the weekend.
A "splash" is a term that's used for taking a mould off something :wink: From that you can produce the scoop as per the original
Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Razzle?! :twisted: :mrgreen:

are we going to need an NSFW category too?! :lol:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

nikbj68 wrote:Razzle?! :twisted: :mrgreen:

are we going to need an NSFW category too?! :lol:
Off-topic I know, but when I was in the scouts as a lad, dog-eared copies of Razzle used to be found in bushes on a regular basis.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew,
Depending on how you want the finished bonnet to look like you could always buy a scoop off Gerry and just bolt or rivet it on.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

peterc wrote:Andrew,
Depending on how you want the finished bonnet to look like you could always buy a scoop off Gerry and just bolt or rivet it on.
Peter C
Thanks Peter - yes that's true. Hopefully that's something Gerry will be able to supply without a wait of 6 months...

Nige - I'm hijacking your thread I know, but could you text me approximate dimensions of the scoop if you've time? The Scott Drake air cleaner I got from Roger is 14" across at the top.

Cheers,
Andrew
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

14" is the stock size for most air cleaners, and the same size as original. You must have a higher-rise manifold as it should all fit. Or have you got a spacer under the carb? The Edelbrock Street Performer (I think - from memory) intake is ideal for a 289/302 and should allow an air cleaner on any 4V carb without any bonnet mods.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Roger King wrote:14" is the stock size for most air cleaners, and the same size as original. You must have a higher-rise manifold as it should all fit. Or have you got a spacer under the carb? The Edelbrock Street Performer (I think - from memory) intake is ideal for a 289/302 and should allow an air cleaner on any 4V carb without any bonnet mods.
Yes - I was a bit disheartened to find it didn't fit! I was thinking it might be my manifold, which is a Weiand Stealth - bought with less knowledge and back when I didn't have a car to put all this in. On top of that is a Holley carb - 600cfm from memory, but I can't recall the part number.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:
Roger King wrote:14" is the stock size for most air cleaners, and the same size as original. You must have a higher-rise manifold as it should all fit. Or have you got a spacer under the carb? The Edelbrock Street Performer (I think - from memory) intake is ideal for a 289/302 and should allow an air cleaner on any 4V carb without any bonnet mods.
Yes - I was a bit disheartened to find it didn't fit! I was thinking it might be my manifold, which is a Weiand Stealth - bought with less knowledge and back when I didn't have a car to put all this in. On top of that is a Holley carb - 600cfm from memory, but I can't recall the part number.
It's the Stealth - they are a bit taller. I have the 351W version on my Mustang.
Frankly, I'd bite the bullet and change the intake unless you really want a scoop. You need Edelbrock Performer 2121:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/ford

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Intake-M ... l6&vxp=mtr

I think the Edelbrock site used to give dimensions - or the installation sheet for the Edel intake will, must be findable online. Probably worth checking with the Holley, but I don't think the Holley carb is any taller than the Eddy (which my Hawk had, no scoop needed).

Just a thought - are you sure a scoop would give the necessary width for a 14" air cleaner? It's closest to the bonnet at the sides, of course... and maybe a scoop would look a bit odd over a 4V with factory air cleaner? You've started down the 'race' route with a scoop, AC didn't make 'slabsides' with them. Just my opinion!

Roger
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Roger - good points. I'll hunt down the alternative intake manifold. RealSteel give dimensions on their price lists.
Karl very kindly offered me his filter, but he had to get a 12" one to fit in the scoop.

I'll stop hijacking Nige's thread now! Keep up the good work Nige. Are you two the 'Hairy Bikers' of the 289 Register, I wonder?
IainS

Post by IainS »

Andrew, I have a 302 with Stealth manifold, same carb and 14" by 2" air filter and all fits... But you do need a deep dished lower half of the air filter. Then the filter sits low on the carb.

Iain