289 Engine Rebuild

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

289 Engine Rebuild

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Hi All,

I've finally begun my build and am now thinking about the engine.

I bought a 6 bolt 289 block from a '66 Mustang a few years ago and tore it down. Someone 'in the know' said they thought it looked fine and that it hadn't been bored previously. Sounds positive, but needs confirmation...

Assuming that's correct, can anyone recommend an outfit that can re-build the engine for me?

Thanks in advance.

Hamish
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 Engine Rebuild

Post by Steve M »

Hi Hamish...

RealSteel seem to be one of the go-to's for engine builds etc. My current experience with them is that they are significantly backlogged and not accepting any new work currently (sigh!).

Other options are out there from previous forum posts (e.g. Knight racing and Hilltop in Devon?).

Out of interest, what cobra variant are you building?

Cheers
Steve
Hamy-hoo
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Hamy-hoo »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for various options.

I’ve heard of Real Steel and Knight Racing but not Hilltop in Devon which I’ll do some research on. Thank you.

I’m a bit concerned, waiting lists aside, that both Real Steel and Knight Racing may be overkill for my requirements which is a street car rather than a racer.

I’m building a Hawk 289 and am keen to make it as authentic as possible, within reason. I also take the view that even the genuine cobras have been chopped and changed quite a bit by their various owners so I don’t want to be a slave to ‘authenticity’.

If you think of any others, please let me know.

Cheers

Hamish
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

A mildly tuned 289/302 (330BHP) is a glorious thing. Enough poke to be damn good fun, but smooth, quiet and not too bad on fuel (I used to get High 20’s on a run with mine)
No reason why you couldn’t build similar…my first ever engine build was a 331 stroker and (if I say so myself) a lovely engine.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think any engine builder who's half decent is busy. V8 Developments ( Rover engines) have a 8 month waiting list, or they did when I placed my order with them early last year.
Still waiting on the return of my unit.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Hamish, I initially thought from your name you might be located further north than you are, but looking at the Member's Directory I see I am wrong! I am aware of a couple of engine builders/restorers up here north of the border, but I fear too far for you. I would recommend Peter Knight at Knight Racing Services, but as been said he is always in demand and therefore waiting times are long. Good luck.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

There's a few on ebay, drop one of those in and get driving while you have one built.
Someone will always be there to buy it off you.
We should have a 289R engine for dropping in for IVA and registration!!
mark b

Post by mark b »

Hi there I would strongly suggest a call to Ben at EDA at castalford ,you won’t go far wrong with them boys

REGARDS MARK
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Steve M »

StuBaker wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:40 pm There's a few on ebay, drop one of those in and get driving while you have one built.
Someone will always be there to buy it off you.
We should have a 289R engine for dropping in for IVA and registration!!
I've just done exactly that - hopefully arriving on Thursday :-)