289 auction

For Sale and Wanted Section
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 auction

Post by peterc »

I note they can’t make up their minds on the engine size. They say it’s a 289 but actually it’s not as it’s a 4.6 from RPI. In Rover speak a 4.6 is actually only 4554 but to have the next size up to be a 4748 they call it a 4.8 conversion.
Bottom line that’s a massive price for a 4.6 Rover engined slab side even with Merlin heads.
I obviously need to up my insurance value.
Peter C
Michaels Garage
Forum member
Forum member

Post by Michaels Garage »

My point was they always have a massive mark up.
£18k is a lot extra to pay for a warranty!
THT cars always seem about £10k overpriced to me but I guess people are buying them so what do I know.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

clive wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:20 pm I'm guessing that auction is not the best way to sell these cars.
But probably the best place to buy.... provided you know what you're doing!!

Seems to be a bit of a thing lately, buying at auction and pushing it on via THT... remember the Hawk sold at Matthewsons.
Phil
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

A number of issues here for me. It’s being sold with a ‘289’ in it but in reality it’s a Rover 4.6.

It also looks like THT sold it originally for £70k to him, bought it back of him for £41k and are now selling it for £60k. They seem somewhat unscrupulous.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Michaels Garage wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:46 pm My point was they always have a massive mark up.
£18k is a lot extra to pay for a warranty!
THT cars always seem about £10k overpriced to me but I guess people are buying them so what do I know.
People buy from THT not knowing what they are buying as in this case. That’s always been their market.
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Dave Woodward wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:03 am A number of issues here for me. It’s being sold with a ‘289’ in it but in reality it’s a Rover 4.6.

It also looks like THT sold it originally for £70k to him, bought it back of him for £41k and are now selling it for £60k. They seem somewhat unscrupulous.
Why is that unscrupulous? Its got an extra name on the logbook now, THT have overheads to manage and are taking on the risk of another car, who knows what happened to it in the mean time?

I have heard a lot of good stories from people with issues and no quibble back-up from THT. That costs money, and they need to turn a profit.
Ofcourse I wont be buying from them, as I don't have the buyers premium bulging in my pocket.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

The thing with auctions is that anyone can buy the car.... you just have to bid more than anyone else! If you know a dealer is in the room bidding, like say THT for example, then you could assume that he knows his market, does his sums and drops out when the bidding exceeds it. So if you can get the car for marginally more than he was willing to bid you've probably got a bargain. It's very instructive to attend car auctions that attract mostly dealers - often the prices seem staggeringly low - as Kevin says, they have to make a profit! But it's a risky business for the uninitiated!
Phil.