CORRECT wheel spinners

General Cobra & Ace topics
Roger King

CORRECT wheel spinners

Post by Roger King »

I thought I'd post this again in a different section as there's not been a lot of response in the 'general' section, so here it is in the other 'general' section...

There are no chrome two-eared spinners available at the moment that are the same design as the original Cobra ones. The standard offerings are incorrect in two main respects - wording: the word 'undo' should appear only once at the top, not twice. The words (OFF) and (NEAR) should be included after the side descriptor. The second is the arrow, which should be longer and should not have flights on the tail. Photos show the current offerings first, and an original second. This original pattern is correct for all Ace, Aceca, Greyhound and Cobra models that used this style of spinner - even, we think, the AC289 Sports (coil spring, MkIII). Thanks to help from Gerry, I'm trying to gauge interest to get a few sets made, so please get in touch if you're interested. I can't give a price yet, as it will depend on numbers.

With these cars, remember it's the details that count! And these are glaringly obvious when you spot them.

Wrong:
DSC-3495-1.jpg
Right:
Cobra spinner.jpg
pm me if interested,

Roger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frank289
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: CORRECT wheel spinners

Post by Frank289 »

Im interested can u send me a fair price?, i have some but not in a good condition, dont like to drive them. hope to hear soon . Grtz Frank
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi Frank,
I can't give a price until we know numbers. The more we order, the cheaper they will be. I'll let you know when I have an idea from the manufacturer.
Roger
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Roger
Just to let you know, I bought spinners from AC Cars in July 1996 and have a receipt in my Cobra file, the spinners are of the first design. I know these may not be the style fitted in the 1960's but they are CORRECT as supplied by AC as replacements in the 1990's.
This may help you decide whether or not the outlay is worth it, or not, knowing AC supplied a revised design later on.
I am happy to email pics of receipt and spinner if required, as I am not picture worthy on here.

Mark
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Hi Mark,
and thanks for the info. Those would have been the standard MWS style spinner, which was pretty much all you could get back in the nineties and is what I have on my car currently. What I'm hoping we can produce here are spinners to the pattern AC would have supplied with the Thames Ditton cars when new, which haven't been available for some time.
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Roger
Yes realise that is your aim, good luck with it. I wont come on board as mine are still undamaged and shiny.

Mark
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger, have you approached the ACOC, or any of the US suppliers to see if anyone there is interested? I would imagine that they aren't going to be a cheap option for people and to be honest, I don't think that many people, including those that own original cars, would either know what is correct, or even care about spending the additional money, just to get it looking absolutely visually correct. I think that only those people, like yourself, that strive to have the car exactly as it would have been, would really be interested in an additional price for something like this. It's going to be down to price, as to whether this will work or not, but good luck with the venture
Nige