New Number plate rules

General Cobra & Ace topics
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

New Number plate rules

Post by BrianC »

My Hawk was registered in 2000 and issued with age related number plates i.e.. "J" =1970 and I have been displaying Old school Silver on black number plates. However.....

New Eligibility for Black and Silver Number Plates
From 1st January 2021, only vehicles built before 1st January 1980 will be eligible to display the black and silver number plates (silver, white or grey characters on a black plate). These traditional plates add a touch of class to classic cars, especially when you have a private or non-date specific registration number. You must apply to the DVLA for the plates and your vehicle must be registered in the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

As I suspect that there are quite a few others that have post 1980 registered cars with pre 80 number plates, anyone taking much notice?
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: New Number plate rules

Post by KevinW »

Whilst this isn't the USA, as a public forum, peeps might might want to plead '5th Amendment' ;)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think that the rules on number plate colour changed in 1973. Therefore you were not really entitled to have silver / black plates on a post 1973 vehicle. I’m not sure why they would want to change it to be 1980.
Looks like there will be another debate on what is the age of the car. The original date of the donor car that it was converted from or the newer date when it was modified. Not forgetting it affects what MOT requirements are needed.
It’s going to get messy.
Perhaps it’s a pre cursor to us all needing convert to electric motors!!!
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Brian, can you tell me where you got that info from please.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I suspect the police have got more important thing to deal with. If you’re legal in every other respect (tax, MOT, insurance), I would doubt you’d get a tug for it. A”legal”set of plates in the boot ready to install may satisfy the more pedantic Bobby....✌️
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
BrianC
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by BrianC »

Hi Clive,
read about it various sites. here's a couple.

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/ch ... m-01012021

express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1418188/new-2021-dvla-number-plate-rule-changes-driving-law.

I agree that police won't be too bothered (but will have a chat with my local traffic officer), but possibly more likely to be picked up by (more diligent) MoT stations,, and up to £1000 fine makes me a little wary. As you say, keep two sets of plates!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

If your car is registered as historic then why do you need to apply to the DVLA for the No plates?
Peter C