Query re: Best(?) Tonneau material

General Cobra & Ace topics
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Query re: Best(?) Tonneau material

Post by KevinW »

I am trying to get a tonneau sorted before the upcoming London show.
My old Pilgrim had a vinyl everflex item, which became a permanent fixture on the car, so I know it'll get used.

Material choices: Vynil Everflex, Double Duck or Mohair.

My understanding on the material, to date is:

Vynil: bit cheaper, doesn't look quite so nice, but can be thrown in the boot when wet, won't shrink or create other fitting problems.
May be less durable long term???
DD: Bit more expensive, prone to sun bleaching, May shrink (but unclear under what circumstances). Needs stretching back in position when wet?
Mohair: best looking, but most expensive material, needs stretching back in position when wet.

Looking for comments/experiences on the above.

Thanks, Kevin
David Large

Re: Query re: Best(?) Tonneau material

Post by David Large »

I have a vynil hood and tonneau which are now over 30 years old, as is my BRA. Neither have been any problem, unless you count having a new zip in the tonneau last year a problem.
I like them because they don't take up much room in the boot, they are durable and functional. I learned in the last couple of years that they are very close to being "original" in terms of material used. The tonneau has had a great deal of use, the hood less so but it has been very good when used.

What's not to like?

David
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

All original Cobras had Vynide Everflex side screens, tonneau and hood. No mohair or canvas anywhere.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks for your comments.
I've ended up with a Duck tonneau made to my template for a very reasonable price - it looks very nice.
Started fitting and then sheared off a tennax self-tapping post last w/e with very little effort - not a good start.
I have ordered an 11/64" drill bit for the task, which might have been the problem (hole too small) - trying again this w/e.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

All my fasteners are bolted through the glassfibre. Tried the screw in ones but didn’t feel happy putting a lot of strain on them. It’s a bit of a faff, but you can get to the underneath to put on a washer and nyloc. Incidentally, I used a small fibre washer under the fastener “head”
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Surprised the thread was long enough unless you ground the fibreglass down a bit.
That method would be Used on an alloy body but not so suitable for thicker fibreglass.
Peter C
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

They’re available with longer threaded parts
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I used the standard threaded type (5mm I think) but simply tapped the fibreglass and no nuts. They've been great with no sign of loosening after 15 years and speeds up to continental maximums.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think the Everflex is probably more durable. The 'new' standard cloth material appears to mark reasonably easily.
My tennax are tapped into the fibreglass but I used a bit of thread loc to keep them tight. No issues for 20+ years.
Peter C
Migge

Post by Migge »

In the positions where the threads were long enough (longest availabe fasteners) I countered them with a nyloc nut, washers on both sides. When it was not possible, I laminate a few additional layers of fiberglass underneath and used long woodscrew type one. No problems at all since 2016.
Special customized BRA289